Things We Think Are Helpful Security Measures
- Rekey all of your door locks. You just never know who still has a key to your new home. Better to be safe than sorry and have a locksmith rekey the existing locks on all of your exterior doors. This is a MUST for all buyers. Our recommended locksmith is JJs Lock and Key 918-237-8659. They can rekey all of the exterior locks so you only have one key which opens all of your exterior doors. We recommend having at least one deadbolt on all exterior doors. We highly recommend having this done the day you move in or the day after to be safe.
- Install an alarm system. Our favorite alarm contact is David Miller at Titan Alarms. They are reliable and reasonably priced and have negotiated a discount on installation for our clients. Click here to download the flyer with their phone number and the code you need to use to get our 20% discount. Plan to spend $100 – $300 on installation depending on if you want motion sensors, door windows, glass break alarms, etc. We strongly recommend having a security system if you’re buying a single family house or a condo. It can take a week or more to get an appointment so we recommend calling now and setting up the appointment for the day of or the day after closing. Remember, you’re most likely to get broken into the first week you’re in a new home. Thieves look for people moving in as they know the are generally easier to burglarize as they don’t have many safety features set up yet.
- Put a peep hole in your front door if design allows. This isn’t hard to do and can normally be installed by a handyman.
- If you have a sliding glass door, buy a thick wooden dowel and keep it in the door track on the floor when the door isn’t open. We also recommend adding a jimmy plate and an auxiliary lock to any patio doors.
Other Things We Recommend If You Are Concerned About Security
- Install Door Devils on each of your exterior doors. These simple strike plates are highly effective at preventing your front door from being kicked in. If you’re buying a condo in a small building that has a common door leading into the building, consider asking the HOA if you can install a Door Devil on the building’s exterior doors as well as on the door to your own unit. These items are simple to install with a drill. This is a good for single family home owners and is a product we install on all of our homes and investment properties. Here is a great article about the effectiveness of Door Devils Please note that these items cannot be purchased anywhere locally (ie. Home Depot, etc) and must be purchased online directly from the Door Devil company.
- Consider installing a Night Lock on back or side doors you won’t use every day. They are highly effective at preventing someone from breaking in. These are must haves in single family back doors.
- Another recommendation is installing Shatter Safe on your windows. It’s a clear plastic film that covers the inside of your window (you can’t even tell it’s there) and makes it virtually impossible to break the glass and enter the home.
- If you’re buying a single family home, add a dusk to dawn light over all exterior doors and consider a motion detector on the gangway or garage area. Just search for Dusk to Dawn lights on Home Depot.
- If you are buying a single family home with a garage and the garage has a window, consider putting a curtain over the window or change the window to frosted or glass block so potential burglars can’t see inside your garage. Definitely add Shatter Safe to your garage window as it’s a prime spot for a break in.
Even though the Tulsa Metro area is extremely safe in most areas it is. better to be safe than sorry. Consider doing all or a combination of the above items as soon as you move in. Criminals are known to watch new people moving in to see what kinds of valuables you’re bringing into the home such as TVs, computers, etc. and then rob you shortly after moving in. An agent I work with recently had a couple who bought a home and they were broken into the first week they lived there. Afterward they immediately installed the above security measures and have had no problems since. Again, better to be safe than sorry.
Have questions? Call us at Homes by Sabrina brokered by eXp Realty 918-637-7826 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org